Followers

Felicity Taylor Eclectic Handmade

Welcome to my site! I hope you enjoy reading my blog.

Wednesday, 7 May 2014

Morwellham Quay.

I thought I'd share  -actually quite a lot -of pictures of our trip to Morwellham Quay in Devon.
The main event for the kids was the train ride through the mine. It was fascinating and horrifying hearing what work was like for the miners  around the turn of the century.
There were many  little talks throughout the day about child labour and schooling etc
I loved all the houses and room sets, so I'll show you a few..
This was Copper Ore Cottage.






Miners Cottage. From the outside- I thought rustic simplicity.
From the inside you get a small glimpse into how things might of been.
The kitchen...

Bedroom 1.

Childrens bedroom.

Films were running on loops to talk about the cottages.
The Assayers room, where the rocks are graded.


The butter room. Not quite ready for using again!

The coopers.

The village shop.

Love the little potholder.

Ruths cottage. Anyone who watched the Edwardian Farm on T.V. may recognize this cottage as it was the place where they filmed....Ruth...of course.





I'm fascinated with kitchens, and the way we used to cook.

We had a bit of fun in the costume dept....Don't worry he always looks like this..
This rather demure lady has been nicknamed...

The famous expanding lady..Once known to expand as big as a house!

My daughter is fascinated by ghost stories. Her day was made all the better by some strange,spooky noises in the costume room...I don't have a photo..strange...I would have ignored it, but hubby heard it too, and assumed someone was behind the curtain..but nobody was there...eeek.
Hope you all have a good week.









4 comments:

  1. Oh that's interesting about the sound, I've been watching The Woman in Black with Daniel Radcliffe, its so amazing; the sets; the eeriness and despair, I had to stop and will wait til this afternoon to finish it , while its still light! Bet your daughter would like it if she hasn't seen it.
    I didn't realize there were so many stone houses in Devon but I'll bet those low ceilings kept it much warmer.
    How bout that green wrangler! Bet it really did the job of squeezing every drop of water from the wet clothes..
    Great Post
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoyed the film! We haven't seen it yet but it sounds really good. I love the mangle too. We tried to buy one a while ago as our washing machine broke, but we couldn't find one that didn't cost a fortune.Thanks for your kind comments Fliss x

      Delete
  2. Oh I love this kind of museum, we have the Museum of Kent Life near by and it's a similar set-up, and I really enjoy having a good nosey in the houses. Sadly, we don't go so often any more, I guess we've been so much we know it too well (there is a nice tea room with cream scones, always a bonus!). Thanks for sharing, looks like such a fun day out. Bethx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth. I'm sure it's my age! I love all the old fashioned things. I know it's a romantic view, I know it was bloody hard work!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...