Followers

Felicity Taylor Eclectic Handmade

Welcome to my site! I hope you enjoy reading my blog.

Sunday, 8 February 2015

Homesteading. From the armchair.


Follow Felicity's board Homesteading on Pinterest.


Many of you will know what I mean by homesteading. 
I have been interested in some aspects of simplifying life, off grid living and growing veg etc.
Some people believe in a zombie apocalypse, doomsday or financial collapse, and feel the need to prepare for it by learning skills and gathering supplies.
I'm not one of those, but I do feel we've lost the plot in some of  the ways we live today.
There are so many people who are disconnected from our society. They have no stake in it and no possible hope of getting one.
In the U.K. home ownership is impossible for many people, and rents are sky high for the amount of wages paid.

I find the subject fascinating because I feel it goes back to a need within us to survive.
Somewhere in my ancestor gene is a squirrel tendency.
I love the sight of the old fashioned pantry, with rows of bottles and jars.
I want to learn more about cooking using our woodburner, and I hanker after a solid fuel cooker (with our gas one still in place, just in case!)
So I'm starting small, and enjoying learning new things.
It's official. Baking potatoes in a multifuel cooker is quicker than a gas oven.
It's also easy to burn things on the top. I can't show you the meal under the foil-but it was fish fingers,    baked beans 
baked potatoes inside the multifuel and a lemon roly poly for pud. (all were rather burnt on one side, but very edible!)
It heats water very quickly too.
This revelation to me would have seemed laughable to our ancestors.
But it's great fun in this age of cellophane wrapped, padded, shrink wrapped, lives.
Has anyone else tried cooking on a woodburner?- tips much appreciated.
Bye for now,Fliss x






5 comments:

  1. Hello Felicity, I just found your blog a few minutes ago, probably when you were typing this post, I was commenting on the past post:) Yes, I have cooked on a stove like yours but it has been a long time ago. I lived seven years back in the late sixties and early seventies with wood-stoves and cold houses:) It was good practice if I ever need to do it again, but kind of like camping:) Six of those seven years I didn't even have running water in the house. That is not fun especially in the winter and for washing laundry. I hope that I never have to go back. The whole trick is learning how to control the temperature and it is a different trick for each and every stove. The more you use yours the more you will learn it's little habits and ways.
    Have a marvelous day.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for your comment Connie, and
      thanks for popping by!
      I am very thankful for running water,and although our heating doesn't work we've got hot water on tap.
      I did look at all the alternatives instead of buying another washing machine. I did decide that I couldn't handle the amount of washing by hand! Having a choice means a lot. Fliss x

      Delete
  2. Felicity, I'm late posting this because I haven't been blogging or reading blogs for a few weeks. Just to say every word you have written I could have written myself. I didn't know about your homesteading pinterest, but I have been pinning similar stuff on mine- I don't have a 'homesteading' board, but preserving, and tiny homes, and all the kitchen stuff I pin is usually rustic, hand made or about making by hand. I shall get on to your pinterst at once. I totally understand where you are coming from - I've been blogging about new GREEN shots on the political scene and on facebook I am with a group of people who are pushing all the time for a fair deal for everyone. I watch homesteading you tube videos - though some of them get a bit into the 'prepper' scene too far for me, I have no wish to arm myself and family! Lots of really useful anf enjoyable stuff out there, and `i think it's great that there is a resurgence of handmade, home grown in the air. Excuse long rant! Now to see you homesteading pins!! Lxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he, I saw you on Pinterest.
      It's so good to hear that I'm not alone in thinking about things as I do. I shall pop over to see your preserving etc pins. I suppose there must be lots and lots of people out there who feel a bit distant in society, but don't realise why or maybe changes that they could make.
      Although like you say, the guns and ammo are a bit too far!

      Delete
  3. Hi Felicity,

    I have cooked on a wood burner and on an open fire (inside the house) but only when the electricity has gone off when I've been home in Yorkshire (which happens a lot as we're quite rural) and it's been basics like sausages and stew etc. Something we always did as children was to toast teacakes, crumpets etc on the open fires and then eat them with jam and cream, clearly this is a world away from what you are experimenting with but I read with great anticipation so see how it goes. Oh and on the solid fuel cooker, everyone I know who did have one has converted it to gas or oil, (all the ones on my family's farm were originally solid fuel), saying that, my neighbour here in Kent cooks on solid fuel, but he is out there for hours cutting wood daily and I know plans to convert it when he can as he struggles to keep up.

    Bethx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...